Recessed Lighting DIY Tutorial
So I have finally gotten around to replacing our terrible lighting in our basement. In the video I go through removing the old porcelain light fixture and wiring in new recessed lighting boxes, complete with basic wiring. I was able to do this in about 35 mins while doing all the video, hopefully after watching this you can get this done in a short period of time. After the first one I got the other 5 done in around an hour.
[warning]Please be safe when doing this, make sure you write down exactly how it is wired before disconnecting. The wiring in this video was easy due to the fact no switch was hooked up at this point. Adding the switch will complicate the wiring, so write it down and label all the wiring…[/warning]
- Always check to make sure the power has been shut off at the breaker.
- Verify the power is off at the light with switch on and off.
- Remove or open old light/cover.
- Remove Old electrical box/fixture.
- Inspect wiring for damage or improper stripping.
- Label the wiring or draw diagram so you wire the new fixture the same.
- Install new lighting box, keep aware of wiring to make sure it will reach the junction box.
- Wire up exactly as previous light was wired.
- Turn breaker back on and check light.